Monday, July 12, 2004

off the top of my head

Off the top of my head and from the bottom of my heart
Guess who’s back from the dead with some wisdom to impart
Because time asks those questions with no easy answers
And if it isn't your heart, then it'll probably be cancer
InI see us eating our dreams just to fill our bellies
That’s why I don't buy the faith that religion's selling
So they call me a devil and call me a heathen
I just call them blind and then I call it even
And if you really believe a church will save your soul…
That salvation’s something to be bought and sold
Then stuff your dollars in their collection trays
And at the gates of heaven… tell their god you paid
I pray Jesus will save earth from his own believers
and their institutions of immoral thievery
I know the son of man was never a god
And nobody but me will ever be my lord
So forgive this heresy and forgive these sins
But when you try to convert me, you ain’t never gonna win
Cause my body’ll break before my mind’ll bend
And know that holy bible was written by men
And that there's a few chapters that ya’ll haven't read
So listen up and listen up real good
And let me make one thing well understood
God can’t be found in churches of wood and stone
But in every molecule of every bone
The only god I know lives inside our souls
An he doesn't want us to bow
He wants us to grow
To see the light in all mankind
And the beauty in the chaos
Of this whole design…

No comments:

News

Loading...